Skilled Workers and Professionals Self-Assessment

In order to be eligible for the various immigration programs, you must meet the basic selection criteria. This is the first step in the selection process. If you meet the basic criteria, you will still be required to meet the set pass marks, which includes an evaluation of your education, qualifications, experience and language ability. The basic eligibility criteria for the various programs are as follows:

    The Federal Skilled Trades Program is for people who want to become permanent residents based on being qualified in a skilled trade.

    To apply, you must:
    • plan to live outside the province of Quebec (Note: The province of Quebec chooses its own skilled workers. If you plan on living in Quebec, see Quebec-selected skilled workers for more information),
    • meet the required levels in English or French for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing, and listening),
    • have at least two years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the five years before you apply,
    • meet all job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC), and
    • have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year**or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a provincial or territorial body.***

    Skilled workers are people who are chosen as permanent residents based on their ability to prosper in Canada. To apply, you must have at least one year of continuous and paid (full-time or an equal amount in part-time) work experience in a single occupation, within the last 10 years, at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 edition of the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), meet the required levels in English or French for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing, and listening), AND one of the following:
    1. have this work experience in one of the eligible occupations, OR
    2. have a valid offer of arranged employment, OR
    3. are an international student who is enrolled in a PhD program in Canada (or who graduated from a Canadian PhD program within the past 12 months) and meet these criteria.

    The Canadian Experience Class is for temporary foreign workers or foreign students who have graduated in Canada, and have skilled work experience in Canada.
    You need to meet these requirements to apply under the Canadian Experience Class. You must:
    • plan to live outside the province of Quebec
    • have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience (work at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 edition of the Canadian National Occupational Classification) in Canada in the three years before you apply,
    • have gained your experience in Canada with the proper authorization
    • meet the required language levels needed for your job for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing, and listening).
If you meet any of these criteria, you should contact us to discuss your situation further.